- The smaller hand points to the hour
- The longer hand points to the minutes
- The word hour is shorter than the word minutes which can help you remember which hand pints to which number
- When the big hand is on the twelve we say O'clock and write :00
- When the big hand is on the 6 we say thirty and write :30
- When we are learning to tell time to the hour the small hand points to the hour and the longer hand points to the minutes
- When we are learning to tell time to the half hour, the small hand points halfway between two numbers ie. 4 and 5 and the longer hand is on the 6 we say it is 4:30.
Here is a fun website to practice telling time at ABCYA